Course directors Julia Short and Bea Neumann each bring a wealth of experience to the programme. Julia is a distribution and marketing expert, former Director of Content on high profile courses such as Inside Pictures. Whilst Bea works as an independent international film consultant for clients including Edinburgh International Film Festival, IFFR Cinemart and Film London, following a successful career in film acquisitions for The Works and Content Media.
What is it about?
The purpose of this programme is to equip participants with the skills and support they need to understand the film market landscape better, to plan and target their approach to meetings, how to take full advantage of the market offerings and leave the market with the best possible results. The course is designed to impart a greater knowledge and understanding of the interconnected film value chain.
The programme will include a 4-day intensive module followed up with a Market Preparation Day, a 4-day mentoring support during the participants’ EFM visit, closing with a Market Review Day. The programme will therefore run 10 days over 4 months in total. The teaching modules are bolstered by 3 mentoring sessions throughout the course. Each participant will be assigned a mentor, who will work with them on a tailored strategy for their project.
Who’s it for?
This intensive practical short course has places for approx 16 participants. It will bring together filmmakers, distributors and sales agents at the earlier part of their career. By having a mixed cohort, it will also increase awareness of each other’s roles and help build stronger networks for the future. Filmmakers need to be in late stage development, post-production or have completed their first feature film or documentary. Sales, distribution and marketing executives will have typically a minimum of one year’s experience in their role.
- Individual Work on Project/s being taken to market
- Improve their knowledge of international markets, how they differ, who attends what and why;
- Identify the most suitable market(s) for their own individual projects and film slates;
- Develop tools and strategies for successful market engagement;
- Improve their skills, knowledge and confidence in packaging, pitching, negotiating, selling, understanding and closing deals;
- Achieve effective follow-through and maximise the benefits of international relationships and opportunities.
- Mentoring / Expert support
Head of Studies
Venue / Location
The aim for this programme will be to deliver in person in Vienna for Module 1 and Modules 2 & 4 on-line.
€1,500.00 included are the sessions, mentoring (sessions and during market), networking, 1-year ISI membership, excluded are the market attendance costs (travel, accommodation, accreditation)